Monday, April 16, 2007

Kelley Donovan & Dancers (KD & D) present "It's All Forgotten Now"

This evening-length modern piece ran April 13-15 at The Julie Ince Thompson Theatre at The Dance Complex in Cambridge. Located at 536 Massachusetts Avenue, The Dance Complex is a buzzing hub of dance classes, networking, performances and information.

In the program, the piece is described as "An evening length dance exploring transformation, decay and memory." The 45 minute long show featured 12 dancers, all with clear modern backgrounds and amazing talent. However, this style was not exactly my cup of tea.

I am going to go ahead and say that the style of dance was intensely modern. Abrupt motion and repetition enhanced the theme of exploring "memory" but as focused as I tried to become, I was not captivated, moved or inspired by the movement.

I think music plays an important role in dance, and in the case of this show the music consisted of repetitious noises and at one brief point, singing in a foreign language which sounded like either Hungarian, Russian or Portuguese.

I don't want to diminish for one second the talent of the dancers. Blair Bodie, Tara Burns, Kelley Donovan, Audrey Ellis, Gina Hesse, Lisa Kazmer, Kelly Long, Laura McComb, Jessamy Murray, Jaime Shanon, Nell Timreck and Allison Vinal all displayed great technique and talent.

The company KD & D describes their company in the program as a collaborative operation creating contemporary dance performances centered around transformation and spirituality. Kelley Donovan herself studied choreography with Mark Morris during his stint in Boston and she teaches modern dance as well.

She has created an incredibly valuable dance source which I just learned about at the show, the Dance Action Network which is a great one-stop information destination for the Boston dance community and has approximately 1000 New England dance artists. I think it is a great way of promoting events, collaborating with other dancers and just keeping up to date with all that's going on in the dance world.

The piece was a great eye-opener for me. It introduced me to modern that is release-based rather than contraction then release (Martha Graham's style) and it helped me learn about the Dance Action Network which I can't wait to join.

For more information about KD & D head here.

No comments: