Wednesday, July 29, 2009

All I know is "All I Want" is to watch this dance on repeat!

During what Kayla dubbed tonight's SYTYCD "semi-finals" the one piece that stands out in my mind is Stacey Tookey's contemporary ode to adultery to the song "All I Want" by Ahn Trio. This haunting, melodic and beautiful piece of music is by the group of three Korean American sisters and the message, choreography and emotion brought out by performers Kayla and Brandon exuded sensuality and the confusion of cheating.

The premise of the piece is the story of the mistress of a married man and what happens when she decides, hmmm maybe she doesn't want to stay. This song reminds me of all the gorgeous music that debuts on shows like "Grey's Anatomy," in other words the type of music that speaks directly to my kind, the overemotional dancer who takes each word of a song, each violin strum, each silence to heart (and personally).

Judge Lil C said the dance was "really, really, really intense and beyond intense, it was beyond amazing." (By the way all my readers should know I am currently watching the piece on repeat thanks to my glorious DVR). It was intense, magnified so by this gorgeous, delicate yet powerful all at the same time choreography. Additionally, Brandon's powerhouse movement, not to mention his muscle definition and strength and body flow keep the piece from just being flowy lyrical. Kayla's impeccable lines and technique don't hurt either, not to mention a close up on her face that simply wreaks of the emotion of this piece right before the line "but I'm gonna lose myself this way."

The lifts are gorgeous and inventive, there is definitely movement in this piece that I feel I haven't seen before which is always refreshing. And hello Stacey Tookey, originally of Canada! I mean yes I adored the piece she choreographed to "Falling Slowly" which saved Karla and Jonathan from impending removal from the show (although neither one made it very much further past that piece), but this piece solidified her as a force to be reckoned with capable of Mia Michael's quality choreography and the emotion we all know and love in contemporary dance. This piece, for me, is the ultimate, the epitome, all I strive to as a choreographer, dancer, lover and audience member of dance. I mean yes, sure Kayla's facials could have been more pronounced and varied, I feel that is one of her weaknesses she hides facials and emotions with her hair and movement, but other than that, what can I say. I'm in loved.

As I close out this post, I am procrastinating hoping someone puts up this video on YouTube tonight, but alas I may have to go to bed before that happens. But I'll be sure to post it tomorrow!

No comments: