Thursday, July 23, 2009

Dear Katie Holmes: That wasn't dancing

So I knew not to get my hopes up, I knew not to expect too much of Katie Holmes' "homage" to Judy Garland and classic Broadway musicals on tonight's SYTYCD, but I didn't expect Tyce to dumb down a Broadway piece for Katie Holmes to sing and dance to "Come on Get Happy."

But seriously, seriously. I mean, SERIOUSLY.

Well, just goes to show that the hype of celebrity is usually disappointing. The fact is, the show essentially tried to play it off as if Holmes was actually dancing, live, in the studio which clearly was not the case. It just saddens me that Holmes is allegedly completely committed to the Dizzy Feet Foundation, an organization founded by judge Nigel Lythgoe, Adam Shankman, Carrie Ann Inaba and Katie Holmes to support, improve and increase access to dance education in the United States. Firstly, the first three people I mentioned are icons and movers and shakers in the dance world, Katie Holmes seems like a rich, and ridiculous afterthought.

Regardless of that fact, the organization (http://www.dizzyfeetfoundation.org/) has already started and I'm sure will continue to do great things for dance education in this country.

But the fact that Katie Holmes wouldn't DEIGN to appear on stage live, but was forgoing her performance fee and donating it to the foundation, is laughable. I wouldn't pay to watch her sing, oh I'm sorry LIP SYNC, and dance, I mean prance around on stage while a bunch of worthy male dancers carry her around, in a million years. Literally.

It's just sad when someone like Holmes allows celebrity ego to interfere with a good cause and a wonderful show that bring dance into the living rooms of Americans who otherwise wouldn't know about the history and learn about new developments and styles of dance. I was really devastated and half-laughing, half-fuming while watching the "performance" by Katie Holmes. And, half-expecting Mr. Tom Cruise to pop in and start busting a move.

No comments: