Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ready, Set, DANCE!

I haven't been this excited in a while, and that's because two of my favorite things are coming together: Dance and writing.
I am a junior journalism major and have been writing my entire undergraduate career, but my interests in both dance and writing started well before college.
I have been dancing my entire life and trained at the Albee Dance School in Brooklyn, N.Y. for five years in ballet, jazz, tap, theatre dance and gymnastics. I have taken ballroom dance, flamenco and salsa lessons. Luckily for me, I began bellydancing at the ripe old age of two, and haven't stopped since.
In Irvington, N.Y. I co-founded and co-captained the Irvington High School Dance Team, and choreographed in many various styles and performed at my school as well as through other local forums, including in musical theatre.
Currently I am the Co-president of the Northeastern University Dance Company (NUDANCO) and was a member of the Northeastern Dance Team for one semester my freshman year.
That's more than enough of information about me.
My goals for this blog are simple ... to review performances (I have tickets already to the Boston Ballet's February 8 performance and March 1 performance), to discuss all different styles of dance from modern to ballet and from Irish Step dancing to Bhangra, and to follow dance in the news, on television and in movies.
I already have plenty of topics to start discussing, especially at a time in American pop media when dance is beginning to take a larger role thanks to television shows such as Dance Life, So You Think You Can Dance?, and Dancing with the Stars along with movies such as Center Stage and Step Up.
So ... let's stretch and get to dancing!

No comments: