Saturday, February 17, 2007

Aurora Borealis: BU students take dance to a new openminded level

While perusing the Boston.com Web site for any good dance shows this weekend, I came across "Aurora Borealis: A Festival of Light and Dance" at the Calderwood Pavilion at the Boston Center for the Arts (BCA) on Tremont Street.

Tickets are still on sale for the show which is running until tomorrow for only $10, no student rush, no hassle.

The show itself was really something else. I'm not sure what I was expecting but the first piece of Act I threw me for a loop and I had the sense of being at a member-recruitment meeting for a cult. Artistic directors Judith Chaffee and Micki Taylor-Pinney have theatre and dance backgrounds and teach at Boston University. Students as well as professors and instructors choreographed various pieces using sounds and lighting to change the performance and give it a much more theatrical effect.

This weekends showcase of "Aurora Borealis" is the fifth annual festival of this show in which the pieces change each year.

One thing is for certain, the Whitney Theatre at the Pavilion was GORGEOUS. If only Northeastern University had the type of funding for a state of the art theatre that is both intimate, beautiful designed, and a great place to dance.

The show is about an hour and half long, and I would say makes the cut for costing $10.

I'm really going to need to go into more detail about each of the pieces ... but for now I'm running off to work. So I'll post a detailed, and hopefully witty blog sometime this weekend diving into all the details that I loved, or hated, about "Aurora Borealis."

And don't forget today at 2 pm at the Roslindale Yoga center there is bellydancing with snakes and the Boston Ballet's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" is still running at the Citi Wang Center until February 18.

If only I wasn't working.

No comments: