Tuesday, February 6, 2007

My very own dance life


(Photo courtesy of Ricky Popolizio)
Here I am last June, stopping to enjoy a mid-Commonwealth avenue dance pose statue in someones front garden.


After all of this research on dancing and watching "Dancelife" each week, I wonder if things would've gone differently had I aggressively pursued dance after leaving Brooklyn and moving to Westchester County with my parents to a suburban school, a lifestyle I wasn't used to and a separation from the cultural diversity I had loved so much in the Brooklyn Heights.

Granted I never stopped dancing, I would perform at local school talent shows, and I co-founded the Irvington High School Dance Team with my best friend and took hip hop classes here and there and even joined a children/teen hip hop company for a little while.

But had I made it my priority, could've I have been a dance major at some prestigious, Midwestern school known for its performing arts program, or even a major hit in Broadway productions?

There is a crossroad that every child dancer must face, at a young age at that. To honestly assess your talents and to decide whether dance enough of a passion and desire that you want to be doing it everyday, and you want to make it your career, life and love. Or whether to pursue it as a great athletic hobby that gives you satisfaction, stress release and is a great way to stay in shape.

I keep re-evaluating my dancing abilities and wondering if maybe things work out differently, and the chance presented itself to me, would I drop everything in my life and pursue a career in dance?

At least I'd still be able to blog.

2 comments:

prof_matson said...

Dinah - this is a great personal post and I love the pic!

Anonymous said...

Dinah,

i felt you are talking to me while I was reading your post, and to my surprize i saw the statue imitating your pauze!

in short I had enjoyed reading your blog..