Monday, February 26, 2007

Close Encounter

I know I am wicked behind on my blog (yes, the New Yorker said wicked), but I will probably end up posting four times today.

So ... my close encounter at the Boston Ballet was brief, but amazing!

This past Friday I took another long South End walk to the Boston Ballet on Clarendon Street after a fruitless visit on Thursday when the ticket office was closed for an all day training session. I needed to switch my ticket for "New Visions" from this Thursday March 1 to Sunday March 4 because of extenuating circumstances (I'm heading to New York this Wednesday for undisclosed reasons, just know it involves dancing).

There is one person in line in front of me at the ticket box, keeping me in the building lobby for an extra two minutes. Luckily, during the two minutes, none other than Jorma Elo runs into the building right past me, flashing me a smile.

Yes, that is the entire encounter, but it is not everyday that resident choreographer to the Boston Ballet Jorma Elo, runs on the street into the Boston Ballet building, before your eyes, and pauses to take notice of your presence.

I must have looked like a star-struck ballet nerd as I stood there, mere inches away from choreographing genius. It was as if Jorma and I were meant to meet, even though we didn't. I mean I saw him at the Dance Spotlight mere days before, and then we "bump" into each other.

Destiny.

Jorma, dressed in straight leg fitted jeans, a t-shirt and his eyeglasses, rushed past me in a calm, gazelle-like manner, typical of anyone in the dance world. His quite demeanor and power of presence really resonated in the seconds when he passed by me, but that is the awe of a dancer I have always loved.

All 5' and 1/2" of my height doesn't equate elegance, stature, prominence, but for some reason my parents, peers and co-workers at Coach at Copley are always catching me standing in a dance pose.

There is a walk, a fashion style, and a stance typical to dancers although the exact movement is completely different for each person. But if someone is a dancer, you'll know it whether they take care to keep perfect posture while walking or while waiting will be standing in First or Third position, ballet.

Ahhh to be a dancer. I just love it.

No comments: