Wednesday, February 7, 2007

I'm dreaming of a "Midsummer Night" right in the middle of February

Boston Ballet's Fall 2006-Spring 2007 season will jump back into full gear this Thursday night, on opening night, of A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Described on the Boston Ballet Web site as a ballet "based on Shakespeare's comic masterpiece, George Balanchine's ballet is an enchanting ode to the supernatural power of love. This company premiere is a perfect treat for your valentine or family."

Well I hope it is all those things and more, as I will begin taking advantage of my Boston Ballet Student Subscription this Thursday at 7 pm when I will sit in my $75 seat which I paid a mere $20 for way back in September. (Ah the benefits of thinking ahead, going to the Boston Ballet studio on Clarendon Street in the South End to show my student id, and reaping the benefits of being a part of academia.)

I was actually in a straight theater production of A Midsummer Night's Dream and can NOT wait to see this ballet version.

This production will be the first completely original full-length ballet created by Balanchine, a genius at worst.

Balanchine supplemented scores from the composer's music, in a nutshell, to build a dual-act show where the first act follows the narrative of the story, and created a second act without an apparent narrative.

Whatever Balanchine did with the music is between him and the composer. All I know is I am extremely ready for a night of pure talent, poise and precision which the Boston Ballet is sure to deliver during every performance.

These people are professionals after all.

No comments: