Friday, March 30, 2007

"The Seagull" brings together theatrics, classical ballet and eccentricities

The Boris Eifman Ballet of St. Petersburg's "The Seagull" was a roller coaster ride of emotions, lighting, sound and dancing.

The four soloists were incredibly talented, flexible and the enthusiasm and effort behind the movement was performed flawlessly. And just on a side note, the female and male dancers from Russia seem to be much more slimmer than the ballerinas I am used to from the Boston Ballet and such. I lucked out with a fantastic row G Orchestra Center seat that brought the dancing right onto my lap, and I had the opportunity to see all the facials and emotion, as well as realizing some of these ladies were almost skeletal but with ridiculously muscular forms.

It was crazy.

The level is clearly different than American ballet, and the motives and traditions are clearly very varied as well.

I want to get into more detail but need to find my program. The show plays through the rest of the weekend and I recommend ballet fans to check out student rush for only $10 an hour before each performance at Emerson's Cutler Majestic Theatre.

OK, I will get into more details tomorrow morning before work.

No comments: